Monday, October 24, 2005

And the argument continues....

Tanenbaum has released latest version of Minix, Minix 3...he claims it has come a long way from being a OS used for instructional purposes to being used for regular use...I am amazed to know that the OS kernel is just 4000 lines of binary code...kinda cool !!

Minix is based on Microkernel architecuture similar to big bro's OS (Windows family) ! Release of Minix made me recollect the awesome debate between Linus and Andy T'bm about Monolithic Vs Microkerenel.. Here is debate ...


Raccoon is the mascot for minix, the reason tanenbaum gives for that "Raccoons are small, agile, cute, clever, and eat bugs".... Let us see how much apetite Raccoon has to eat its bugs :)!

and if any of you guys plan to try out Minix let me know if it is stable....

5 Comments:

At 2:30 AM, Blogger Pal said...

In Windows We Trust

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Pal
Agree with ya...Windows has improved a lott...after 98, XP is the most stable version i have seen..I use it for browsing daily and it hardly crashes !

Let us say my VCR is blinking 11:00, i will still use Windows to browse ! ;)

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Monicaatje said...

Hm.... I don't really trust Windows... but I must say I feel now sort of a... conlifct of loyalties with the raccoon... same species, u know? heh :P
Will ask my bor if some of his friends know anything bout Minix's stability... still... don't trust Windows

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

"I'd want to compare it with Linux, the BSD's and Solaris - three neat monolithic OS's. I'd also want to compare it with the latest MacOS and QNX, two snappy, *professional* microkernel OS's. "

and are you getting paid for it? It will be so cool if that z the case :)

I have no complaints with big bro's OS...I use it extensively for browsing and it runs good !

Let me know how Minix installation goes, coz I cant afford the luxury of a windows crash now...

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Kovai Bro,
I dont know about drugs but the remaining two is for sure /nev/dull :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home